Partnership on Organic Agriculture (POAg) Project
The goal of the project is to develop organic agricultural production, establish a Participatory Guarantee System (PGS), and improve the livelihoods of farmers in Selenge province.
By the end of the project, the primary and apex cooperative union will build partnerships to initiate the transition to organic agriculture, thereby will establish a marketing system with production, participatory certification, processing, packing, and other value-added products from organic vegetables, honey, and dairy products, as well as “off-season products.”
- Functioning inter-institutional Multi-Actor Partnership (MAP) dialogue structures with the participation of representative groups of actors at the local and national levels that facilitate the cooperation necessary for strengthening organic agriculture.
- The productivity capacity of 30 cooperatives are sustainably diversified and increased.
- Profitability: Increased access of 30 cooperatives to local and regional markets through MAP platform and value-chain development
- A total of 1,941 beneficiary partners which is composed of cooperative members and selected government officers attended 13 different trainings in organic agriculture, cooperative governance and management, and business training/s. In addition, there were three international conferences held virtually that provided the POAg team added skills and trainings as part of their capacity-building activity.
- There were 15 organizations established using the Participatory Guarantee System (PGS) in 11 districts in Selenge province. Activities include the formulation of PGS internal bylaws, developing peer-review inspection documents, and using the traceability books of organic farmers and bee-keepers. Currently, there are 220 cooperative members are involved in the internal peer review and duly registered in the national government’s organic registration system.
- In 2021, the project’s beneficiary partners (organic farmers and bee-keepers) managed to grow 31 kinds of organic vegetables in 223 hectares and harvested a total of 2,440 tons and 2,770 tons of organic honey with total amount of 2-billion MNT (701,754USD).